Monday, June 22, 2015

Holding a grudge?

What if you realised that one of the best friends of your husband had her eye on him? What if she were his best "man" at the wedding? What if your best friend seduced your wife to the point that she left you for him?
I have to say I don't know how I would react. I would probably be very sad and angry at the same time. I might even wish that the laws of the Old Testament would still be observed today and be the first one to throw the stone at the so called friend. Now that's violent! Sorry. I have to be honest, that's all. 
Though my human nature tells me to hold a grudge against people who hurt me, God tells me to forgive. Wow! 
"But Lord, this is too much! I can forgive things but there are limits; this, I cannot forgive!"
Can you imagine God's answer? What if God did the same? "I died on the cross to forgive your sins, but this is too much! My sacrifice doesn't cover that kind of sin!" 
But as God forgave us and still does forgive us ALL our sins when we sincerely repent then we should also forgive for ALL the things that people do that hurt us. Easy to say, right?
But if we are saved we have received the Holy Spirit. He is also there to help us obey God and he is called the comforter and Jesus died on the Cross and rose again to heal us. It is about inner healing. If God heals our hearts then we will be able to forgive. 
Now all you have to do is let him do so.

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. (Colossians 3:12-13 KJV)

"For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." (Matthew 6:14-15 KJV)

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9 KJV)

Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord. (Leviticus 19:18 KJV)

Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses. (Proverbs 10:12 ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment